The Wesley Community Activities Assistant (Part Time, Day) in Saratoga Springs, New York
Job Overview: The Wesley Community is currently seeking a part time Activities Assistant who is looking to work weekends!
WHAT CAN THE WESLEY COMMUNITY OFFER ME?
- Flexible Schedule! Work part time or go to college? We can work around your existing schedule. Most of our part time employees work between 16 - 24 hours a week.
- A dedicated,caring and passionate Wesley Team ready to supportyou and provide opportunity!
- A fun environment, with family picnics, theme weeks,recognition eventsandopportunities to become involved within our campus.
- Benefits for full time and qualifying part time employees upon hire!
I'M NEW TO LONG TERM CARE, WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
- Long Term Care isveryrewarding,as you have the ability to make a difference in someone's life every day.You will build relationshipswith the residents,staff and familiesof your unit while providing care in a home-like setting.
- Expect to be challenged by a wide variety of situations - you will have routine tasks such as med passes and dressing changes, but no two days are the same.
- Lots of one-on-one time and attention spent on your residents.
ABOUT THE WESLEY COMMUNITY:
The Wesley Community has provided services and programs with a commitment to compassion, caring and excellence for 40 years. Our distinctive continuum of care offers a unique balance of community living and caregiving that ensures quality of life at every stage of life. We are a mission driven, not-for-profit organization that puts people first. We are proud of our reputation for excellence, innovation, and a personal approach to care and services. We encourage and support our residents in their efforts to achieve their goals, and we treat them respectfully. To us at the Wesley Community, it's more than a job, it’s caring that starts in the heart.
The primary purpose of your job position is to assure that an on-going program of activities designed to meet, in accordance with the comprehensive care plan, the interests and the physical, mental, and psychosocial well-being of each resident is maintained.
The Activities Assistant is directly accountable to the Director of Leisure Services.
A. Educational Requirements
High School Diploma or GED
Coursework in gerontology, leisure services, recreation, music therapy, activities, or art.
- Previous experience working in a leisure time, educational, or medical setting with geriatric populations preferred.
C. Specific Requirements
Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
Must demonstrate sincere interest and concern for the well-being of the residents of the Health Care Center.
Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
Must be able to keep programs flexible and adapted to residents' interests, mental and physical capabilities.
Must be neat in appearance and have an outgoing personality.
Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant.
Must possess leadership ability and willingness to work harmoniously with other personnel.
Must possess strong organizational skills.
Must have patience, tact, a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as the willingness to handle residents, staff, and visitors, based on whatever maturity level at which they are currently functioning.
Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing practices.
Must be able to relate to information regarding a resident's condition.
Must have basic computer skills, and be willing to learn more as necessary.
I. Physical and Sensory Requirements (With or Without the Aid of Mechanical Devices)
Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work day.
Must function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel, and support agencies.
Must be able to lift, push, pull, and move a minimum of 30 pounds.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Administrative Functions
Work with residents on a one-to-one activity plan and Encourage residents to participate and engage in activity programs.
Keep accurate records of the resident's participation in and response to the activities program.
Transport residents to and from activities/events.
Lead activity programs.
B. Personnel Functions
Follow work assignments, and/or work schedules in performing and completing your assigned tasks.
Assist resident in community outings and functions.
Drive the Wesley Vehicle for resident outings as deemed necessary.
Perform all assigned tasks in accordance with our established policies and procedures and as instructed by the Director of Leisure Services.