Army Tank-Automotive and Armament Command (TACOM) Machine Tool Work Inspector in Watervliet, New York
About the Position:The Watervliet Arsenal is an Army-owned and -operated manufacturing center located in New York. It is the oldest, continuously active arsenal in the United States having begun operations in 1813. Today it is relied upon by U.S. and foreign militaries to produce the most advanced, high powered weaponry for cannon, howitzer, and mortar systems. The Arsenal is the only location in the DoD that has a weapons research facility(Benét Laboratories) collocated with a manufacturing facility (Arsenal).
Who May Apply: US Citizens.
**THIS IS A DIRECT HIRE SOLICITATION - These positions are being advertised through the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for Domestic Defense Industrial Base (DIB) Facilities. Under this authority, competitive rating/ranking and veterans' preference procedures do not apply.
NOTE: This position is advertised as an OPEN CONTINUOUS with multiple cut-off dates and a final closing date of 31 August 2018. Applicants that apply before each closing date of the cut off dates will be considered first.**
1st cut-off : 15 March 2018 2nd cut-off: 31 March 2018 3rd cut-off : 30 April 2018 4th cut-off: 31 May 2018 5th cut-off: 30 June 2018 6th cut-off: 31 July 2018 7th cut-off: 31 August 2018
Learn more about this agency
- Performs final and in-process inspections on large caliber weapon components, assemblies, castings, and forgings utilizing a wide variety of standard measuring and testing equipment.
- Verifies dimensions using set-ups, a knowledge of shop math and dimensioning and tolerancing principles, has a knowledge of non-destructive testing techniques (i.e., ultrasonic testing and Level I Mag Particle Certification.)
- Approves/disapproves processes using established procedures.
- Communicates orally and documents in writing (with operators, manufacturing supervision, and support organizations), any problems that impede the production of repetitive defect free work.
Occasional travel - Business travel is 5%
- #### Job family (Series)
3401 Miscellaneous Machine Tool Work
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health & ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position requires shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations.
- Due to the nature of this position, employees are required to work both planned and unscheduled overtime.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Your resume must reflect experience which includes the ability to do the work of an Machine Tool Work Inspector without more than normal supervision to include the ability to: conduct final and in-process inspections on a variety of complex manufacturing components and equipment, subassemblies and complete assemblies; inspect for dimensional accuracy, angels, radii, finish, hardness, concentricity and alignment of parts; apply knowledge of non-destructive testing such a magnetic particle and ultrasonic tests; analyzing problems or conditions associated with deficiencies; and utilize a variety of electronic measuring, and standard measuring & testing equipment. - Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating. * Operation of Machine Tools and Hand Tools for Shop * Technical Practices (Theoretical, Precise, Artistic) * Ability to Use Shop Drawings * Knowledge of Materials * Measurement and Layout
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work requires standing, stooping, bending, stretching and working in tiring or uncomfortable positions. There is frequent moving and lifting of parts and equipment. Required to lift/carry items weighing up to 44 lbs. Mechanical lifing devices/other employees are available to assist with lift of 45 lbs and over.* Requires good vision to inspect close tolerances.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is generally done inside in areas that are well lighted, heated and ventilated with concrete or wood floors. The inspector may work in areas that are drafty, hot, poorly lit, noisy and dirty. Inspector is subject to grease, scrapes, cut and bruises. Continuously wears safety glasses and safety shoes.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a background investigation.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 15 position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Position requires employee to wear uniform and/or protective clothing.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility.
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.** If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
- Your resume:**
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Proof of Eligibility to Apply:Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The Proof of Eligibility document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration. NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 08/31/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Applyto access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10114178).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center. To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AJ-APF-W0K9AA US ARMY ARSENAL, WATERVLIET DO NOT MAIL Watervliet, NY US
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492831300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/06/2018 to 08/31/2018
Salary: $25.46 to $29.82 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent